At Buckshaw Primary School, we provide our pupils with the skills enabling them to participate in a rapidly changing world in which work and other activities are often carried out in languages other than English. Skills that they will be able access in the future will help them to learn new languages or to improve their competence in an existing language. Increased capability in the use of a foreign language promotes initiative, confidence and independent learning and encourages diversity within society. We will prepare children for the KS3 language curriculum to enable them to transfer confidently and successfully. We provide inspiring opportunities and experiences within and outside school including Spanish days and Spanish inspirational speakers.
In our school we teach Spanish to all our KS2 children as part of our normal school curriculum. To enable progression across school, we introduce basic vocabulary to EYFS and Key Stage 1 by encouraging children to use greetings, answer questions and sing Spanish songs. The school uses the “Language Angels” scheme of work to support the teaching and learning of Spanish. This provides clear progression for the development of speaking and listening and vocabulary acquisition. There are resources to support the teaching and learning opportunities for pupils.
They use a variety of the following techniques to encourage children to have an active engagement with Spanish:
- Games – in order to develop vocabulary through repetition, reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
- Role-play – these should relate to the situations the children may find themselves in the future.
- Action songs and rhymes – to develop phonetic skills, memory skills and to further vocabulary.
- Reading and writing quality materials.
During Spanish lessons, children are given the opportunity to work as a class, as individuals and as part of a group. The choice of class organisation is determined by the learning task. By its nature, language learning will involve lots of interaction with visual, auditory and kinaesthetic prompts.
We base the teaching on the 2014 National Curriculum through the Language Angels. We have adapted this to the context of our school. This provides teachers with clear progression grids and content for teaching and learning.
By the time Buckshaw Primary School’s children leave school they will have been taught to know and understand how to:
- In Spanish, ask and answer questions;
- Use correct Spanish pronunciation and intonation;
- Memorise Spanish words;
- Interpret meaning in Spanish;
- Understand basic Spanish grammar; Use dictionaries;
- Work in pairs and groups, and communicate in Spanish;
- Look at life in Spanish culture;
- Equipped and ready for the Key Stage 3 Spanish Curriculum.
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.